Welcome to the Hays Central Appraisal District
- We encourage you to use online methods to conduct business with us.
- Visitors can remain in their vehicle and call (512) 268-2522 for assistance or scan the QR code on the parking sign to join a waiting queue.
- Use Property Search to find information about your property record.
- File a Homestead Exemption or Agricultural Use application, Business Personal Property Rendition, be mindful of deadlines, or submit a Change of Address Request using the Online Forms icon at the top right of our homepage.
- Contact us at [email protected] with questions.
- For your convenience there is a drop box at our front door.
Property Tax Payments are handled by the Hays County Tax Office
Information on vehicle registrations and property tax bills and payments can be found at the tax office website https://hayscountytx.com/departments/taxoffice/ or you can reach their office at (512) 393-5545.
Homestead Designation is not the same as a Homestead Exemption
There is no cost or fee associated with filing a residential homestead exemption application with any appraisal district. You can file online by clicking Online Forms at the top of this page or by accessing an application under the Forms tab and submitting to our office. Please contact us if you have questions about homestead.
Property Taxpayer Remedies
The “Property Taxpayer Remedies” is a publication prepared by the Property Tax Division of the Texas Comptroller’s Office. This public information brochure is intended to provide the taxpayer with an overview of the process for determining ad valorem assessments and outlines remedies available to the public regarding their property tax assessments. This brochure is available in different formats from our office. You can view or download the document online, or have a brochure mailed to you by calling our office at 512-268-2522 and requesting a copy of the “Property Taxpayer Remedies”.
For additional general information on property tax administration you can check out our Frequently Asked Questions page or watch the video below.
Texas Property Tax System Overview
Click the link to watch video:
We hope that you find the information on these pages useful and informative. Our office develops and administers property records and provides appraisal roll services to the taxing jurisdictions located in Hays County. Our main goal is to provide professional, respectful and courteous service to the public and our entities while producing an accurate, complete and equitable appraisal roll in a timely manner. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can provide assistance to you.
Click on the button below to view links to Hays CAD’s most requested data, reports and Public Information Requests.Data Downloads
Every effort has been made to offer the most current and correct information possible on these pages. The information included on these pages has been compiled by staff from a variety of sources, and is subject to change without notice. The Hays Central Appraisal District provides this information “as is” without warranty of any kind. This data could include typographical errors or other inaccuracies. The District is not responsible for any errors or omissions.
- Property Tax Protest and Appeal Procedures
- HAYS COUNTY APPRAISAL REVIEW BOARD SEEKS APPLICANTS
- PRESS RELEASE – UPDATED 2021 PROPERTY TAX INFORMATION NOW AVAILABLE FOR TEXAS TAXPAYERS
- HEIR PROPERTY COMMUNITY GUIDE
- BREAKDOWN OF YOUR LOCAL PROPERTY TAXES
- HB 1313 DISABLED PERSON SURVIVING SPOUSE
- REQUEST FOR ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS – PROPERTY TAX CODE SEC. 1.086
- HAYS CO. TAX CEILING FOR AGE 65 PLUS & DISABLED RESIDENTS